I’m always looking for ways to pack in the protein on our #llwlveggieweds days and what better way than to include one of the highest plant-based protein sources, Tempeh!
Tempeh originated in Indonesia and it’s made from fermented soybeans that have been formed into a block, though store bought tempeh often includes additional beans and grains. In addition to its high protein content (approx. 20gr per 100grams) it’s loaded with vitamins and minerals such as calcium, manganese, phosphorus, and iron! You can find it in your local health food store or in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores.
Here’s my take on a nutrient dense Italian/Asian fusion low carb lentil bolognaise! I hope you enjoy. x
LLWL Phases – 4
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time 15mins
1 Packet of Lentil Pasta, Approx. 200grams
1 Block Tempeh – Approx. 350grams, cubed
1 large stick of celery - chopped
2 Cups Organic Tomato passata
2 tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil or avocado oil
1 fresh plum tomato, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. Tamari
2 tbsp. coconut amino
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp. raw honey
2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 cup water
1. Cook the Lentil Pasta in a large pot of boiling water, as per packet instructions.
2. Heat Olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan on medium heat
3. Add olive oil, garlic and onion and cook until softened
4. Add the tempeh, celery and paprika, tamari and coconut amino and cook for 2- 3 mins
5. Add the chopped tomato, passata and all the other spices, salt and pepper and cover. Cook until it starts to simmer.
6. Next add the water and honey, cover and leave to cook for approx. 10-12 mins.
7. After 10 mins check consistency, seasoning and add nutritional yeast stir and leave to simmer for 2-3 mins.
8. Serve warm over lentil bolognaise add fresh basil leaves to garnish.